A Note About Copyright

I hold the copyright to all images on this blog, unless otherwise noted. Please do not reproduce them without my permission. If you plan on using my material in another blog, I'd be delighted, but please notify me before you do so, and, of course, link back to me. Thank you.

May 13, 2011

Chain Mail Bezel for Coins and More

Not long ago, I found 5 ruble coin at home (I guess, I brought it from my last visit of Russia). Turning it in my hands, I decided to make something with it since I cannot spend it  here anyway:) Besides, coin jewelry has been popular since coinage began. 
5 ruble coin with a double eagle on reverse is 1 inch (25 mm) in diameter, so it could be a good pendant. I  did not want to make any holes in it, so the chain mail bezel should work. 

 Silver plated jump rings are woven so that they hold the coin firmly in place.
Diameter of the pendant is 1 3/8" (35mm).
You will not believe, just  after making this "Russian" pendant, my daughter found a genuine Canadian Elizabeth Head Penny 1966 coin. I wanted to make a bezel for it too!


Diameter of the pendant 1" (25mm). Comes on copper chain, 16" (41cm)

Now, I could not stop. I made a pendant from a $1 coin as a Birthday Gift for my colleague. 
Enough with coins, I thought :) But I wanted to do more... I had a Cameo waiting for its lucky moment. There you go!
Well, coins and Cameo work fine with this technique, now I wanted to try it with a cabochon, which is a little thicker. I had a black onyx round cab..This black onyx cabochon is extremely well-cut and polished. Black onyx has traditionally been used to banish grief and enhance self-control. Oxidized silver plated jump rings are woven so that they hold the coin firmly in place... and it turned out very nice, I think :) Although, it took an hour to "battle" with slippery cabochon to squeeze it into the bezel :)
Diameter of this pendant 1 3/4" (45mm):

If you want to know how to make a chain Mail bezel yourself, I have a tutorial for it here . And, by the way, if you want to purchase the pendant(s), you can find them  at my store

PS. I have a token from Saint-Petersburg's Metro (Russian again). Does anybody needs a pendant with it?

14 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful pattern! Love the last one (the black one)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for pendants! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is so awesome!!!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to purchase a chain mail bezel to hold a valuable St.Stephen Hungarian coin. Please contact mme. molds_now@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was really impressed with your work.

    It is really beautiful, I'd like to get one of these to my son's wedding.

    I'd be more than happy to be able to see the backside of the necklace- because i'd like to be sure that it does not have any sharp edges (i have a very sensitive skin)

    i will be glad if you post a picture of the backside picture.

    Thanks, Ronny

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely bueatifull work ! Such an artist ! I would like so much to create like you but i do not know how to manage metal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea! What size jump rings did you use for the Black Onyx cabochon? I purchased the tutorial on your etsy shop but it only has the instructions for the coins. If you would be so gracious to contact me at me at sealedwithaklasp@gmail.com to share that info I would greatly appreciate it.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, I Love it.

    ReplyDelete